Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The first pic is a BMW B58 for reference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    • “We have the same water-air intercooler system built into the intake manifold as the B58. I’m saying this because of the size of the manifold and the water lines, which are very similar to that of other B58 cars.”
    • “The same engine accessory layout and harness routing.”
    • “The B58s new massive water pump (which is pulley driven not electrical like the old N55).”
    • “The intake has a slightly different resonator and airbox, but same routing.”
    • “The engine is not fully behind the strut towers, so likely not behind the front axle (unless the caster is crazy.)”
    • “The motor doesn’t seem to be placed extremely low in the engine bay, although the hood line is fairly low, but it begs the question “How does this car have a lower CoG than an 86!?”
    • “Can’t see the block so can’t see the material type.”
    • “Judging from the layout this also means that we have BMWs rear facing Valvetronic system, but that’s a guess as I can’t actually see it.”
    • “Very B58 right now though, which is slightly disconcerting! I’d expect more differences in the head, but granted the majority of the head is covered up. “

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    • “Very B58 right now though, which is slightly disconcerting! I’d expect more differences in the head, but granted the majority of the head is covered up. “
    Why are they expecting differences in the head?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Why are they expecting differences in the head?
    Rumors going around there are some test mules with different block material and higher flowing head.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://club4ag.com/chief-engineer-te...ment-with-bmw/

During the Parade Run, we wanted to reveal as much as we could without going into much finer details. We wanted to let the audience hear the engine and exhaust note. Due to the speed and distance/duration constraints it wasn't like a full attack of the section, but I've kept the RPM high, and kept it in gear for deceleration too, so everyone could also hear the off-throttle noises too. The engine unit inside this Pre-Production was our inline 6 powerplant. A 3.0 Liter Turbocharged unit, if you are curious about numbers. It will be the flagship engine for this car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    That is a great article. Makes me feel the Supra may be special but thise MKIV shoes are big to fill...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    That is a great article. Makes me feel the Supra may be special but thise MKIV shoes are big to fill...
    Yes great article explaining just how the two brands are working together, kinda feeding off each other. It feels like the Z4 is going to benefit greatly, with Toyota asking for changes/improvements to the car. Like Toyota asking BMW to move engine placement at a great expense, to lower center of gravity. Z4 getting performance tweaks it would seem to have not gotten otherwise during a normal r&d. I like that Tada’s aim for handling is the Cayman. Combine neutral balance at the limit, with known tuning potential. Sounds like a winner in the making.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Some new leaks or rumors from supposed insider:

may I ask, what did you think we would be getting in terms of looks? is the appearance the main thing that has swayed you?

have your insiders given you any clues to hint that the goodwood car doesn't have the top-spec, CGI block engine?
    Finally heard back a few mins ago when I was away from a computer, but the engine in the Goodwood car is indeed the iron block engine refined by Toyota and ex-Yamaha powertrain engineers.

It was also stressed that trims and aesthetics are not yet finalized.

And there was something else, but I'll have to go back through later to see if I can find it; something about the 4cyl.

(Remember though, that my information is not to be relied upon in any way and is worthless)
    Regardless of whether this is true or not, I personally really appreciate your efforts in trying to get us as much info as you have to date. So thank you very much.
    I do my best, but yeah I'm not using any more US sources aside from engineering, aside from investigative purposes of my own.

I fell into a trap of not getting enough from engineering and instead started to post what I was getting from the US side of the pond, and no offense to those guys (they are honest and just tell what they've heard), but often times it simply just isn't correct and it ends up becoming contradictory.

The engineers corrected a few other misconceptions on some other tech in the car that I cannot talk about yet too, and that was the final straw.
    Will all 3.0-liter I6 variants be modified by Toyota, particularly with their own refined iron block?

Will the 4 cylinder variants also receive the same treatment or will it just be a copy paste of B48?
    I don't think so, I think it is only the iron block I6. I haven't heard of that expertise being applied anywhere else.

----------------------------------------------

I found out some specific new things about the 4cyl, but it was my eyes only unfortunately. Still no word on if US is getting it or not though.

EDIT: they did mention in a roundabout way about getting the Toyota 86 for $20k less though (hint hint)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Finally heard back a few mins ago when I was away from a computer, but the engine in the Goodwood car is indeed the iron block engine refined by Toyota and ex-Yamaha powertrain engineers.
    I know people are doubting this but if this is the case.. it benefits the entire BMW aftermarket. Why wouldn't people swap to this block?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think so, I think it is only the iron block I6. I haven't heard of that expertise being applied anywhere else.
    So if I'm understanding this only 1 Supra variant will get this Toyota/Yamaha iron block tuned motor?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what he thinks, it will come in the GRMN(or probably called TRD for north America) version of the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by IllSic_Design Click here to enlarge
    That's what he thinks, it will come in the GRMN(or probably called TRD for north America) version of the car.
    And what will it cost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He doesn't have a clue, guess is anywhere from 65k-100k depending on how wild it actually is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So if I'm understanding this only 1 Supra variant will get this Toyota/Yamaha iron block tuned motor?
    I believe that answer was in response to someone asking if the 4cylinder was getting the same Toyota/Yamaha treatment or just a copy/paste B48.

The Goodwood car with iron block was not a GRMN model. It was one of the models debuting early next year. The GRMN or TRD model will debut later.

The quote below was I believe a hint at where pricing would start. Meaning starting at $20k more than GT86.
    EDIT: they did mention in a roundabout way about getting the Toyota 86 for $20k less though (hint hint)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I hate to be that guy, but i don't buy this iron block thing. They are basically casting and redoing this engine for just top trim level and not the whole 6 cylinder version? Yeah, right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know people are doubting this but if this is the case.. it benefits the entire BMW aftermarket. Why wouldn't people swap to this block?
    Because there is a reason iron blocks are dead, they are heavy. We have come such a long way with alu blocks, really. When was the last time you heard a N54 was limited to block strength? The limit is so high/we have so many other limiting factors that iron blocks is not helping anyone at the moment. I think this info is BS to get attention to that very forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
    Because there is a reason iron blocks are dead, they are heavy. We have come such a long way with alu blocks, really. When was the last time you heard a N54 was limited to block strength? The limit is so high/we have so many other limiting factors that iron blocks is not helping anyone at the moment. I think this info is BS to get attention to that very forum.
    Not old school gray iron block, CGI(compacted graphite iron). CGI blocks were primarily used in diesel and racing applications. Ford was first to use it in a massed produced pretrol engine, with the 2.7L ecoboost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They aren't dead. Maybe when it comes to modern gasoline motors but that is only due to weight and so what?

I'll take an iron block S65 all day thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

RealOEM has the diagrams for this car on their site and the engine is the same as the X5 with different turbocharger. Probably the same as M340i, Z4 M40i and other M40i cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    RealOEM has the diagrams for this car on their site and the engine is the same as the X5 with different turbocharger. Probably the same as M340i, Z4 M40i and other M40i cars.
    Post the diagrams in a new thread!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I noticed that on realoem.

There is also a different part number for the short block, compared to the B58 in the G05 X5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Post the diagrams in a new thread!!
    Check out realoem. Scrolll down to bottom of list.

There are 3 Supra engine variants...20i, 30i and 40i. 30i and 40i for EU/USA. 20i for EU exclusively.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    RealOEM took the Supra parts off their site unfortunately. It is apparent is it using the newer B58 since it shares a lot of parts with only the X5. It does have some unique parts like the short block and turbo. I wonder if they correlate to the spy photos of 7700 rpm while tuning the car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justbake Click here to enlarge
    RealOEM took the Supra parts off their site unfortunately.
    Nobody captured in time? Dang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast