Close

    • Reminder the MKV has big shoes to fill - Stock block MKIV single turbo supra making 757 whp

      The 2JZ-GTE is legendary for a reason. Toyota knows of this tuning potential hence the rumors of an 'iron' block for the MKV Supra. It may more realistically be CGI (compacted graphite iron) than traditional liron like the MKIV Supra motor but it still has a big reputation to live up to.


      This single turbo MKIV Supra was tuned by Crispeed Tuned on a Haltech Elite 2000 engine management system. The block is stock and it has aftermarket cams of some sort.

      Beyond that all we know is the fuel system gave out at 757 wheel horsepower:


      Will the MKV really live up to this lofty tuning reputation?


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Reminder the MKV has big shoes to fill - Stock block MKIV single turbo supra making 757 whp started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 14 Comments
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Audi 5 cylinder and V8's excluded i doubt we'll see stock engines overbuilt from the factory like this going forward.
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        Audi 5 cylinder and V8's excluded i doubt we'll see stock engines overbuilt from the factory like this going forward.
        You mean like the N54 Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        You mean like the N54 Click here to enlarge
        The N54 hasn't really done anything impressive off the dyno and is already surpassed by the S55...
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The N54 hasn't really done anything impressive off the dyno and is already surpassed by the S55...
        Both are overbuilt from the factory would be my point. Most stock JZ blocks and N54s seem to let go around the same power levels IIRC.

        The S55 is a great successor to the N54. Only thing BMW cheaped out on was the head by reusing the N55 head.
      1. imola_shaun's Avatar
        imola_shaun -
        It definitely doesn't take much
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        Most stock JZ blocks and N54s seem to let go around the same power levels IIRC.
        The JZ blocks let go around the same level? From what I understand they have iron blocks well into the quadruple digits.
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The JZ blocks let go around the same level? From what I understand they have iron blocks well into the quadruple digits.
        Stock. What was the highest HP supra 10 years after it was released?

        It's a better engine for power, but you know they are very similar.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        Stock. What was the highest HP supra 10 years after it was released?

        It's a better engine for power, but you know they are very similar.
        They are highly different though. Port injection, iron block, sequential turbos, square design, 8.5:1 compression ratio, etc.

        The n54 has nothing in common other than literally being a turbo I6.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        Stock. What was the highest HP supra 10 years after it was released?

        It's a better engine for power, but you know they are very similar.
        890whp on a stock block in '03
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        890whp on a stock block in '03
        So the same numbers n54s made after 10 years on a stock block.
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        They are highly different though. Port injection, iron block, sequential turbos, square design, 8.5:1 compression ratio, etc.

        The n54 has nothing in common other than literally being a turbo I6.
        There is more similar than different. Both twin turbo I6 3L. So displacement same, cylinders laid out the same, forced induction very similar. Both basically top out at 500whp on the stock turbos. Both very popular in the tuning communities. Both engines have made 3x their stock whp #s within the 1st 10 years. The n54 is much for Tuner friendly than the 2JZ.

        There is a lot in common. Now the n54 will never hit the ridiculous numbers that the 2JZ can because of design. I guarantee there will be more N54s at 600whp or above than 2JZs. Making it a more popular and commonly used performance engine.

        All the n54 needs is to be in a fast n furious remake to gain even more popularity. What you can do with an n54 that you can't with a supra is this: pick one up for 5k, spend 5k, make 600whp.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        So the same numbers n54s made after 10 years on a stock block.
        Huh? N54's fall apart way before that.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        There is more similar than different. Both twin turbo I6 3L. So displacement same, cylinders laid out the same, forced induction very similar. Both basically top out at 500whp on the stock turbos. Both very popular in the tuning communities. Both engines have made 3x their stock whp #s within the 1st 10 years. The n54 is much for Tuner friendly than the 2JZ.

        There is a lot in common. Now the n54 will never hit the ridiculous numbers that the 2JZ can because of design. I guarantee there will be more N54s at 600whp or above than 2JZs. Making it a more popular and commonly used performance engine.

        All the n54 needs is to be in a fast n furious remake to gain even more popularity. What you can do with an n54 that you can't with a supra is this: pick one up for 5k, spend 5k, make 600whp.
        This is absolutely and absurdly false.

        Just because displacement is 'the same' doesn't mean anything. How are you arriving at that displacement? As I said the 2JZ-GTE is square. The N54 is undersquare and therefore hits higher piston speeds and is not exactly a revver. The N54 is 84x89.6mm.

        Furthermore, completely different fuel system.

        The heads are different.

        Compression ratio is different.

        The Supra is easier to tune, wtf are you talking about? The N54 DME isn't even figured out and we're in 2018 whereas the Supra has dozens off off the shelf ECU solutions.

        Plus the 2JZ has stroker kits, high rev cam kits (with cams that are easier to tune for), and you name it.

        They aren't the same thing or similar. It's idiotic to say they are. It's like saying an N54 and S54 are the same thing because they are both naturally aspirated I6's.

        The fact you pick an N54 up for cheap and people think they have a Supra is exactly what's wrong with it and the modding scene.
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        This is absolutely and absurdly false.

        Just because displacement is 'the same' doesn't mean anything. How are you arriving at that displacement? As I said the 2JZ-GTE is square. The N54 is undersquare and therefore hits higher piston speeds and is not exactly a revver. The N54 is 84x89.6mm.

        Furthermore, completely different fuel system.

        The heads are different.

        Compression ratio is different.

        The Supra is easier to tune, wtf are you talking about? The N54 DME isn't even figured out and we're in 2018 whereas the Supra has dozens off off the shelf ECU solutions.

        Plus the 2JZ has stroker kits, high rev cam kits (with cams that are easier to tune for), and you name it.

        They aren't the same thing or similar. It's idiotic to say they are. It's like saying an N54 and S54 are the same thing because they are both naturally aspirated I6's.

        The fact you pick an N54 up for cheap and people think they have a Supra is exactly what's wrong with it and the modding scene.
        You are right. Not similar. Next.