Close

    • More BMW B58 engine sharing? Next generation Lexus IS to receive BMW I6 turbo powerplant

      Enough of this. As if it was not bad enough the new Supra is just a G29 Z4 coupe the parts sharing between Toyota and BMW is going to expand. Toyota seems content to just let BMW handle the heavy lifting with their cars.


      The same B58 in the Supra is expected to go into the next generation Lexus IS models.

      Pros:

      - IS performance will not be a joke
      - Solid tuning available
      - BMW tuners will be happy
      - Toyota saves money

      Cons:

      - Toyota is getting lazy
      - Toyota is getting dependent
      - Too much free time for engineers to sing karaoke
      - Toyota sold its soul

      BMW tuners and those marketing B58 parts will be ecstatic. Maybe early Japanese reports are wrong but where does this stop? Will IS-F an GS-F models start using M powerplants? Is Toyota just giving up on delivering their own turbo powerplants?

      Source

      This article was originally published in forum thread: More BMW B58 engine sharing? Next generation Lexus IS to receive BMW I6 turbo powerplant started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 12 Comments
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        This is actually sweet. You only risk the unreliability of the engine but maintain Japenese perfection/attention to detail everywhere else. If the IS had a modern power plant it really would be a solid contender against the 3 series, c-class, a4, etc. This will get it there.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Toyota maybe should just stop making cars altogether.
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Toyota maybe should just stop making cars altogether.
        I think they made the transition from cars to appliances a long time ago...
      1. ///MPOSTER's Avatar
        ///MPOSTER -
        Really good for sourcing parts when we blow the motors.

        Really good for the tuning market as it will expand the brand into an area where people have never heard of JB4 or MHD or whatever.

        Tons of after market parts can be made, such as charge pipes, down pipes, air filters, intercoolers etc.

        The forum could expand at a large rate with new users!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOSTER Click here to enlarge
        The forum could expand at a large rate with new users!
        The only plus IMO Click here to enlarge
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        The new LS swap?
      1. F87Source's Avatar
        F87Source -
        factory LS swap lol
      1. tisdrew2's Avatar
        tisdrew2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOSTER Click here to enlarge
        Really good for sourcing parts when we blow the motors.

        Really good for the tuning market as it will expand the brand into an area where people have never heard of JB4 or MHD or whatever.

        Tons of after market parts can be made, such as charge pipes, down pipes, air filters, intercoolers etc.

        The forum could expand at a large rate with new users!
        I doubt we'll see many intercooler upgrades given how expensive upgrading w2a units appears to be so far on the f80 platform and the m240i.
      1. Domino_86's Avatar
        Domino_86 -
        Time to get a Lexus now. They'll hold their resale value with BMW parts better than BMW with their own parts.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Domino_86 Click here to enlarge
        Time to get a Lexus now. They'll hold their resale value with BMW parts better than BMW with their own parts.
        Except it will drive like a Lexus...
      1. Domino_86's Avatar
        Domino_86 -
        Ahh. Got me there. Well I'm not sure how a Lexus drives, but I LOVE the way the Bimmer handles.
      1. alcuin's Avatar
        alcuin -
        if toyota uses the B58 in more cars that means 1 thing.

        the B58 is reliable, very reliable.